Tuesday, March 11, 2008

BETTE-- MY LONG LOST SISTER




This is the reason we left California early.
Good Hubby bought us tickets to the Bette Midler show in Las Vegas.
I know we were sisters in a past life.
She does not share well though---she got all the talent and can sing on
key and I was ask NOT to sing in a church choir and have "O" talent.
But we both have a love of Gardening and New York City.


"In 1994 I returned to New York to live and found a city under a pile of garbage. Her parks were abandoned, her highways filthy. I can only describe my feeling with a word that hasn't been used since the turn of the century: I swooned. When I came to I realized something had to be done and I founded the New York Restoration Project. Now I always say, "Get the trash off the streets and back on the stage where it belongs!" So we began by cleaning up.
Well, that was 12 years ago, and since then we've moved over 800 tons of garbage from the city's most neglected sites. Imagine, we've handled more trash than a security guard on the Jerry Springer Show! Presently, besides maintaining six parks and countless public spaces, NYRP owns and manages 60 community gardens throughout the five boroughs of New York City, each with its own personality, reflecting the traditions and flavor of the community in which it's located. This year, we began our newest, tallest order, planting one milliion trees in the asphalt jungle. All contributions are welcome. www.nyrp.com." Bette Midler

When we win the Lottery-- Bette and her gardens will get a bundle

1 comment:

andi said...

A first glance I thought that was YOU behind the red feather boa! Then I realized, Judy has had strappy red shoes for a while. It's easy to mix up sisters.

(Zyula was my word verification this time. Maybe that is your new stage name.)